Brunswick Bicycle Accident Attorney
Compassionate Care During Challenging Times
When a crash occurs between a vehicle and a bicycle, it’s no surprise that the cyclist is the one who often receives the most serious injuries. Bicyclists lack outer protection like seat belts and the structure a car has, and the only thing they have protecting their bodies is a helmet. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 857 bicyclists killed in vehicle accidents in the U.S. in 2018. Even when bicyclists have their own lanes and are permitted to use roadways like cars are, many drivers fail to recognize the rights of bicyclists and cause accidents as a result. The Law Office of Brad S. McLelland, PC. has handled countless bicycle accident claims successfully for clients in Brunswick and throughout Georgia. As a personal injury attorney, I have more than 20 years of experience helping the injured cover the costs of damages through tireless, aggressive advocacy. If you were injured by a negligent driver, I can hold them personally responsible.
Georgia Bicycle Laws
As a locally-based attorney, I’m well-versed on Georgia road laws, including bicycle laws, and can inform you of how they may impact your claim.
Common bicycle laws include:
- Cars must yield to bicyclists in bike lanes
- Bicycles and cars are subject to the same rules of the road
- Bicyclists must stay on the right side of the road
- Cars must leave at least three feet of space when passing a bicycle
- It’s legal for a bicycle to ride on the paved shoulder of the road
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
There are countless factors that can contribute to bicycle accidents, though typically they’re caused by motor vehicles like cars, trucks, and buses. Injuries are often serious due to the size and weight of cars upon impact and can include broken bones, burns, amputations, spinal cord and neck injuries like paralysis, and head and brain injuries.
Common causes of bicycle accidents involving motor vehicles include:
- Speeding: Speeding is one of the leading causes of all auto accidents and can be especially dangerous for bicyclists, as the force involved can cause catastrophic injuries and fatalities. Speeding reduces a driver’s response time and can also cause a driver to lose control of their vehicle.
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are texting or on their phones are less likely to notice a bicyclist who is crossing the street or riding closely on the side of the road. As a result, drivers can strike a bicyclist if they’re not paying attention.
- Unsafe lane changes: Drivers cause accidents when they fail to change lanes in a safe manner by signaling to alert others around them and checking their blind spots before moving. Drivers may also put bicyclists in danger if they merge into a bike lane in order to make a right-hand turn, for example, cutting off the bicyclist.
- Failure to yield: Georgia laws require cars to yield to bicyclists in bike lanes, meaning that drivers who wish to make right-hand turns have to wait for the bicyclist to safely cross the street. Many accidents occur when drivers don’t yield for bicyclists.
- Impaired driving: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can result in reckless driving like speeding or failure to stop at red lights, as well as fatigued driving, which can prevent drivers from noticing bicyclists and responding to them in time before they collide.
Need trusted legal counsel from a Brunswick bicycle accident attorney? Get started in a free consultation by calling (912) 400-0039 – I offer services in both English and Spanish.
After a bicycle accident, you may be facing thousands of dollars of debt in mounting medical bills, lost wages from missing work, property damage to your bicycle, and pain and suffering. No one anticipates getting involved in a serious accident, so you may be overwhelmed by the necessity of dipping into your savings to pay for your expenses.
As an attorney for the people, I believe innocent victims shouldn’t have to pay out-of-pocket for their expenses after an accident. Through passionate advocacy, I can investigate your accident and gather the evidence you need to support your claim. I’ve recovered millions of dollars for clients and can help you so you can start the next chapter of your life without being in debt.
Auto Accident - Liberty County $66,500,000
Auto Accident - Chatham County $1,500,000
Auto Accident - Glynn County $1,200,000
Electrocution - Jeff Davis County $1,160,000
Dog Bite - Camden County $1,000,000
Wrongful Death - Glynn County $675,000
Auto Accident - Jeff Davis County $450,000
Wrongful Death - Glynn County $450,000
Auto Accident - Brantley County $380,000
Workers’ Compensation - Brantley County $290,000